Mead honey

Discussions about mead making.
Ben Siegel

Mead honey

Postby Ben Siegel » Thu May 12, 2011 1:23 pm

Okay, so a friend of mine has a couple of bee hi IRS on his property in Merced an a honey extractor. In think he's trying some sortnof pseudo-new pioneerbthing. The bees are for his gardens and he WAS going to make mead with the honey, except that I think he's discovered that he doesn't like mead. I dunno what's wrong with him.

Anyhow, incoming obvious question: what makes honey be a 'good' honey for making mead? If this is a viable mead honey source, then let me know and I'll let him know not to worry about having too much honey around. :D
And if i get drunk well, I'll pass out
On the floor now baby
You won't bother me no more
And if you're drinkin' well, you know
That you're my friend and I say
I think I'll have myself a beer

Josh Lindsey

Re: Mead honey

Postby Josh Lindsey » Thu May 12, 2011 3:39 pm

Maybe he hasn't tried good mead :)

Single flower honeys - Orange Blossom, Sage and the like, are typically more desirable for their individual characteristics. But there is nothing wrong with a "wildflower" honey. This term is generally used to describe honey from bees that visit numerous types of flowers. If he is growing one type of flowering plant very near the hives, and the bees like it, it is likely their main source. But who can corral those bees and tell them where to eat! I've heard that Eucalyptus can make an unfavorable honey...

My 2 cents.

And if he needs to get rid of honey...
Josh

"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite; and furthermore, always carry a small snake."
-W.C. Fields

Ben Siegel

Re: Mead honey

Postby Ben Siegel » Thu May 12, 2011 4:08 pm

Josh Lindsey wrote:
Maybe he hasn't tried good mead :)

And if he needs to get rid of honey...

Im CERTAIN he hasnt tried GOOD mead! ;)

He does wildflower honey then I guess. He has several varieties of flowering fruit/veg plants as well as decorative flower he is in the process of swapping for produce plants as the decorative ones die off. Ill contact him about his honey.....
And if i get drunk well, I'll pass out
On the floor now baby
You won't bother me no more
And if you're drinkin' well, you know
That you're my friend and I say
I think I'll have myself a beer

Return to “Making Mead”