Barrel project

A place to discuss your upcoming brewing sessions.
Peter Munoz

Barrel project

Postby Peter Munoz » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:07 am

Recently I was able to get in on a club buy for some 5 gallon charred wiskey barrels . First up , Belgian triple ! This will probably spend a week or two inside , just long enough till I have another beer to replace it with .

Mark Ranes

Re: Barrel project

Postby Mark Ranes » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:17 am

Keep us posted on this Peter! I've been loving the stuff I had recently from barrels:)

Mark
Eat, drink, and be merry. For tomorrow we die. ~Dave Matthews~

Peter Munoz

Postby Peter Munoz » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:22 pm

I did find out the barrel I will be getting is from a rum called Rumble. Fermented honey with figs and Turrbinado sugar. Not your typical rum .But it should work well with the beer I intend to drop into it. I just hope it turns out as well as I expect it to.
As far as updates. The barrel is in Davis. I will pick it up on Sunday! When the updated email went out they were happy with the service and quality . I was also told Hoptech will be buying more in the future to sell.

Peter Munoz

Postby Peter Munoz » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:28 am

Here's a pic , that's a 5 gallon next to it for comparison .

Peter Munoz

Postby Peter Munoz » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:20 pm

Well it's been a little while . The triple is smelling better and better ! In the meantime I picked up another barrel . I paid a little extra ($56.00) for this one . Same 5.2 gallon . Old ale or imperial red ? Hmm

Mark Ranes

Postby Mark Ranes » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:45 pm

Nice, if you hear of any more of these coming down the pipe, could you let us know? Sounds like a fun project:)

Mark
Eat, drink, and be merry. For tomorrow we die. ~Dave Matthews~

Peter Munoz

Postby Peter Munoz » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:23 pm

We were planning on doing a barrel order thru hoptec . I hope they don't gouge but they will still be a reasonable price . When word got out about the first order A lot of people were asking. Soon after Oder #2 went out and within 2 days all 28 barrels were sold. Price per barrel is $46. and we split the shipping , Not bad eh? Talking with John he said as much interest in another round it became a chore to keep up with everything and was looking for someone else to take care of the orders.
The barrels themselves come from Balconies distillery. Im sure if you look them up you can get in contact with them and do your own club buy.

Return to “Brewing Soon?”